Concord Piecemakers is a 501(c) organization.
Our annual February meeting is devoted to creating quilts which will provide comfort to those in homeless shelters, cancer patients, victims of fire and domestic crises, and others. Those quilts which are not finished during our day-long Quiltathon are passed to our comfort quilt groups which meet once a month.
Throughout the year, members meet to work together on Comfort Quilts. Fabric is donated by members and by helpful quilt shops. Groups meet either in the morning or evenings on a monthly basis. Also, kits are made up and completed by the rest of the membership at home. Between the Quiltathon quilts and those made by the comfort quilt groups during the year, 100 quilts annually are donated to charity.
We have 3 comfort quilt groups: one meets in the morning, another meets in the evening and a third emphasizes machine piecing and quilting. Please see the latest newsletter to determine the meeting days, times, and places.
Comfort Quilt Sizes
- Wheelchair, 36” x 45”
- Lap, 48” x 60”
- Twin, 57” x 82” (based on an 8” drape over the mattress, like a coverlet)
We rarely need quilts bigger than this, although welcome them if you are so inclined. Full/Queen size quilts are lovely for donating as a raffle prize. Please, nothing smaller than wheelchair size as we really have no need for them.
We are putting together sewing kits for those in need. Please contact Alice Wiggin if you can donate any of the following items:
medium size tins, scissors (any size), thread, buttons, needles and pins, safety pins, measuring tape, bobbins – any style with or without thread
Breast Cancer Heart Pillows and Drainage Bag Covers
Breast Cancer treatment can make so many everyday things uncomfortable and even painful. Here are three links for making heart pillows and drainage bag covers for breast cancer patients:
ConKerr Cancer Pillowcases
We currently assembling 100 pillowcases. Click here for pillowcase instructions
Would you like to help with one of our community service projects? Below are just some of the organizations we support. There is one which fits just about anyone’s favorite charity or stash!
- Bethke Cancer Center Emerson Hospital, Concord Road, Concord, MA 01742
- Lap Size Quilts -No larger than 50X60 inches for adults: men & women, prefer machine quilted items
- ConKerr Cancer Organization
- Pillowcases – brights – childrens themes, Contact Maura Cain for specific instructions
- Contact Person – Maura Cain
- Families in Transition, Nashua, NH
- Quilts – Children or Adult
- Contact Person – Eloise Newell
- Parmenter Community Health Care, Wayland, MA, POC Cynthia Mayher,
- Quilts – Twin Size – Adult
- Project Linus
- Quilts – no specific size -brights – childrens themes
An international organization that provides quilts to children receiving cleft palate reconstructive surgery.Wrap-A-Smile has hand crafted stunning children’s quilts for Rotaplast to send on missions. Each child that is treated on a Rotaplast mission takes home a beautiful quilt of his or her own. These quilts provide not just warmth, but also allow children and their families to take home a token of love to remember the day they were given a new smile. Each year, Wrap-A-Smile provides Rotaplast with more than 1,500 quilts to bring to 48 rotating sites worldwide.
- The Sharing Foundation. P.O. Box 600, Concord, MA 01742, , www.sharingfoundation.org
- Organization supports a orphanage in Cambodia. Dr. Nancy Hendrie a local physician delivers the items.
- Quilts – Dorm Bed for Teenage Girls – 40 x 80
- Contact Person – Shirley Weinberg
Add Another Recipient
If you are a member of the Concord Piecemakers and would like to add another organization to support, please make out the following form and submit it to our current Outreach Committee Chairperson.